Home > News > Lock 29 Trailhead Parking Lot is Temporarily Closed For Repairs
Lock 29 Trailhead Parking Lot is Temporarily Closed For Repairs
Please be advised -
The National Park Service announces a temporary closure of the Lock 29 Trailhead parking lot in the Village of Peninsula for repair and rehabilitation. The closure will begin Monday, August 20 and reopen on Friday, August 31, 2012. This project is funded by the Federal Highway Administration.
- 8/20 - 8/23 - The Lock 29 parking lot in Peninsula will be closed to pedestrians, bicycles, and vehicles from Monday, August 20 until Thursday, August 23.
- There will be no Towpath Trail access.
- 8/24 - 8/30 - On Friday, August 24 through Thursday, August 30, there will be Towpath Trail access for pedestrian and bicycle traffic only.
- The parking lot will remain closed to vehicles.
- 8/31 - The parking lot will reopen to all traffic on Friday, August 31.
Tips for Towpath Travelers
There are 48 Trailheads that provide entrances to the Towpath. During the closure, you can use the other 47 to gain Towpath access, including:
- Boston Store Trailhead - 2.3 miles North of Lock 29.
- Deep Lock Quarry Trailhead - .8 miles South of Lock 29
Cuyahoga Valley Scenic Railroad Service Remains in Effect
During this time, the Lock 29 overflow lot will remain open, and an additional lot within the Terry Lumber complex will be leased by Cuyahoga Valley Scenic Railroad. Signs will be placed to direct visitors to the train and the trailhead.
Please respect all closures for the safety of the staff, public, and the resource.
About CVNP -
CVNP encompasses 33,000 acres along the Cuyahoga River between Cleveland and Akron, Ohio. Managed by the National Park Service, CVNP combines cultural, historical, recreational, and natural activities in one setting. For more information visit www.nps.gov/cuva
or call 330-657-2752
Follow the Canalway
Hike and canoe along a scenic river. Stroll hand-in-hand through charming streets. Share over quiet meals. When it's time for a getaway, here's a great adventure for two. Begin your day at 9:30 a.m. with a morning adventure by the water. Park just outside of town at Zoar Lake Shelter (434 West Fifth Street, Zoar, Ohio 44697). Remember to bring a pen and your Canalway Quest brochure (see below). The Waters of the Tuscarawas Quest is a peaceful hike to the Tuscarawas River, passing ruins of past industries... More »
A Towpath was a Towing Path Bicyclists and walkers on the Ohio & Erie Canal Towpath Trail today follow the same path that in the 1800s was used by mules and mule-drivers to pull canal boats—with some exceptions. Canal Fever , KSU Press, 2009 More »