Home > News > Towpath Trail Temporary Closure - Weekdays - 10/22 - 11/9
Towpath Trail Temporary Closure - Weekdays - 10/22 - 11/9
– The National Park Service announces the closure of the Ohio & Erie Canal Towpath Trail from the Frazee House Trailhead to Station Road Trailhead, 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. weekdays, Monday, October 22 through Friday, November 9. The Towpath Trail will be open evenings and weekends.
The closure is necessary to repair the failing Sagamore Waste Weir and clear brush along the Ohio & Erie Canal.
- Frazee House Trailhead is located at 7733 Canal Road, Valley View 44125.
- Station Road Trailhead is located at 13513 Station Road, Brecksville 44141.
This is a 2.7 mile section of the Towpath. The Frazee House Trailhead is North of Station Road.
- Questing - This temporary closure effects the History Spoke to Us Quest and the Trains, Lanes, and Remains Quest. You will be unable to go on these Quests during the 7 a.m. - 5 p.m. weekday closures through 11/9.
- Bike Aboard! - Riders will not be able to stay on the Towpath between Frazee House & Station Road.
- Due to this closure, it is recommended you start your adventure north out of Canal Visitor Center or south out of Brecksville Station - home of the Station Road Trailhead & whistlestop.
- If you find yourself caught in between, Bike Aboard will be available at the scheduled times to move you between stations.
- Contact CVSR - 800.468.4070 - 9 a.m. - 4 p.m. daily or visit CVSR.com for schedule details
CVNP encompasses 33,000 acres along the Cuyahoga River between Cleveland and Akron, Ohio. Managed by the National Park Service, CVNP combines cultural, historical, recreational, and natural activities in one setting. For more information visit www.nps.gov/cuva
or call 330-657-2752.
Follow the Canalway
Our suggested Canalway Day Trip Sampler: You may choose to stay in the area by camping at Clay's Park; tents to drive your Winnebago. For more places to stay, visit the Stark County Visitors Bureau link below. Any way you get here begin your day in Historic Canal Fulton by visiting the Century House for an all American breakfast (7 AM till 11 AM). Enjoy the view of the canal and the St Helena III (May-October) out the overlook windows. After breakfast, take a walking tour of the three block histor... More »
A Towpath was a Towing Path Bicyclists and walkers on the Ohio & Erie Canal Towpath Trail today follow the same path that in the 1800s was used by mules and mule-drivers to pull canal boats—with some exceptions. Canal Fever , KSU Press, 2009 More »