Know before you go!
As you'll see throughout our site - and through any Canalway Alerts links - we invite you to keep up-to-date on how local weather affects Canalway travel components.
Current Closures - CVSR, CVNP, Metro Parks, Serving Summit County
Wednesday, July 20th & Thursday July 21st - From the Cuyahoga Valley Scenic Railroad
Due to flooding, service between Canton and Akron has been CANCELLED for Wednesday, July 20th and now Thursday, July 21. What a storm!
Keep track at www.cvsr.com.
Wednesday, July 20th - Portions of the Towpath Trail closed and Other Areas in the Park closed Due to Flooding
From the National Park Service
Brecksville, Ohio – The National Park Service has closed the Ohio & Erie Canal Towpath Trail from Red Lock to Hunt Farm Visitor Center due to excessive rainfall and flooding conditions. The trail closure includes associated parking lots.
Virginia Kendall Lake is open but the restrooms are closed.
- Please respect all park closures for the safety of visitors, resources, and park staff.
- Please do not drive through moving water or designated closed areas.
- Flood waters from the Cuyahoga River can contain elevated levels of bacteria, pathogens, sewage, chemicals, pesticides, and other toxins.
- Risks may include exposure to salmonella, E. coli, and tetanus. Prime growing conditions for allergens and molds may also be present.
- People & Pups - Never enter closed areas, do not permit your dog to walk in the leftover mud, hose off your boots, and wash all exposed skin immediately with antibacterial soap and water.
Please visit www.nps.gov/cuva/flooding-in-the-park.htm
in advance of traveling to the park due to multiple road closures and for up-to-date information.
CVNP encompasses 33,000 acres along the Cuyahoga River between Cleveland and Akron, Ohio. Managed by the National Park Service, CVNP combines cultural, historical, recreational, and natural activities in one setting. For more information visit www.nps.gov/cuva
or call 330-657-2752
From Metro Parks, Serving Summit County
July 20, 2011 - The following Towpath Trail areas are temporarily closed due to flooding: Clinton Trailhead to Stark County line including the Clinton parking lot on North St.; Botzum Trailhead to Weathervane Lane; Portage Trail to Big Bend Trailhead including the Portage Trail underpass; Beech St. to North St.; Ley Dr. to Summit Lake.