Award-Winning Vistas - celebrated around the world
Discover why Outdoor Photographer
named Cuyahoga Valley National Park one of the top 25 spots in the world for nature photography. (Yes - world :) And that's just for starters.
The Ohio & Erie Canalway provides artistic inspiration for thousands of photographers. Take your camera and hit the Towpath Trail for an afternoon of nature shots, head out on a discovery drive along the America’s Byway or hop aboard the Scenic Railroad. Whatever you choose, you’ll find some great natural vistas and cultural gems along the way.
Pick a subject - pretty much any subject!
Culture and History - There are 3,000 historically significant resources & 385 buildings on the National Register of Historic Places in the Canalway.
- Nature and Beauty - Each season - and some would say each day - offers something new, from the changing colors of spring, summer and fall to the frozen landscapes of winter.
Top Photography Tips for the
Local photographers Gigi Muir and Kay Wuske embarked on their own Canalway Trek in 2010 - heading out almost daily to photograph the Towpath Trail. After taking some 80,000 photos - we thought they might have some great tips to share.
Here are a few of their favorites, from Finding the Moments to Preparing for Your Trip.
What to look for — October, November, December
Fall Along the Towpath Trail
— A quick guide to highlights and natural photo ops to watch for along the Towpath Trail.
Do You Know Where These Are?
Think of it as our own “Where’s Waldo?” If you know where these Canalway sites are, head over to our Facebook page and start guessing. Just for fun.
Area Photography Clubs
Find a club
About our Website Photographers
We’re honored to have the works of many resident National Heritage Area photographers gracing the pages of our website - including the extraordinary Tom Jones, Gigi Muir, Kay Wuske and Ken Robinson. Read more about them here.
Fun to Know
- Natural Punctuation - Commas and Question Marks are some of the fun names for the myriad varieties of butterflies found throughout the Canalway - one more natural wonder for your lens to discover!
- Tinkers Creek Gorge is a National Natural Landmark. The scenic overlook point along Gorge Parkway, provides a breath-taking view over the 220’ Gorge. The entire area in the Cleveland Metroparks Bedford Reservation offers endless possibilities for nature photographers.
- Lights, Camera, Canalway! The sights of the Ohio & Erie Canalway have been featured in a number of Hollywood films, including “A Christmas Story,” “The Deer Hunter” - featuring the beautiful St. Theodosius Russian Orthodox Cathedral, Major League,” “Lost in Paradise” and “Superman 3.”
- Stark Parks’ Sippo Lake Park is home to Exploration Gateway, featuring magnificent views of the great outdoors — perfect for nature photographers.