A Spectacular Journey
Take a seat aboard the Cuyahoga Valley Scenic Railroad and watch the Ohio & Erie Canalway unfold. From river floodplain and steep cut valley walls to ancient stands of evergreen, you'll journey through a world of historic sites and timeless natural processes. A world that still enchants, even after 12,000 years.
What will you see?
Meadowland, pinery, marsh, river, ravine and wood. Beaver, fox, deer and owl. You can leave the train to amble through small towns. A working 19th century farm. Miles of smooth Towpath Trail to bike and hike. A fascinating canal museum. Industrial roots. There's a wealth of natural and human history in the Valley. A world where time slows, and the Cuyahoga Valley Scenic Railroad is your ticket in.
You can always keep track at www.cvsr.com.
Please use www.cvsr.com as your overall guide to service during this time.
Two Routes, Three ways to ride
Your ticket serves as an all-day pass to ride the National Park Scenic Line — a beautiful journey through the Cuyahoga Valley National Park & the Canton-National Park Explorer — which travels through the urban countryside and into the National Park in the summertime.
Your ticket is good for both Round-Trip and all day Explorer excursions, while different prices apply for special events:
- Round-Trip - Stay on the Train - typically a three-hour journey on either route
- Explorer Pass - Spend the Day! Take the train directly, or through connections in Akron, to one of three suggested Explorer Destinations: Canal Exploration Center, Peninsula, Akron. You also can visit Hale Farm & Village via the Indigo Lake stop.
- Special Events - Monthly “Grape Escape” Wine-Tasting Excursions as well as the popular “Ales on Rails” Beer-Tasting - both evening excursions. Different prices apply.
Buy tickets on-line before you go - www.cvsr.com - or Buy Today, Ride Today! at ticket stations.
Along the Cleveland/Akron run of the Cuyahoga Valley Scenic Railroad — the National Park Scenic — you can bike one way and hitch a ride back on the Scenic Rail the other for $3! This innovative program — a partnership between CVNP & CVSR - is one of the Canalway’s most popular programs — and a great way to double your fun in the National Heritage Area.
How to Bike the Trail - Ride the Rails!
- When you’re ready — head to one of the Boarding Stations, 10 minutes before its scheduled arrival.
- Wave BOTH arms to let the engineer know you’d like to Bike Aboard!
- Remember — waving one arm is just a greeting!
- Bike Aboard! Staffers load up your bikes & you’re on your way.
- Note: Voices of the Valley audio tour not available with a Bike Aboard! excursion
A Station by Station Approach
Click here for a quick Station by Station Guide to the National Park Scenic Line — a beautiful journey through the Cuyahoga Valley National Park & the Canton-National Park Explorer — which travels through the urban countryside during the summer months, including viewsheds from our industrial heritage, and into the National Park.
CVSR Summer Excursion Guide
Find everything you need to know - prices, etc. - for great round-trip and explorer excursions on the Scenic Railroad available here - CVSR 2013 Excursion Guide printable version of CVSR schedule.