8176 Brandywine Road
Sagamore Hills , OH , 44067
At 60 feet, Brandywine Falls is the largest in Cuyahoga Valley National Park. In 1814, George Wallace built a saw mill powered by the falls. Over the next decade, the bustling Village of Brandywine grew around the falls and added a distillery, grist and woolen mills and a dozen houses. Eventually, Brandywine's prosperity declined as the Ohio & Erie Canal and later railroads shifted commerce elsewhere. Today, visitors to the falls can reflect on how nature can shape the growth of human communities.
Brandywine Falls is a place to return to time and time again - to enjoy seasonal changes like fall colors and spring vernal pools. It is also a place to watch the moods of the waterfall. With less water, the bridal-veil pattern becomes more pronounced. In winter, ice becomes the attraction. Runoff from upstream paved surfaces has increased water flow compared to historic water volumes. This is especially true immediately after storms and water can be seen in high volumes as it rushes over the falls.