47 West Exchange Street
Akron , Ohio , 44308
Located overlooking the Ohio & Erie Canal at 47 West Exchange Street, the Richard Howe House is a canal-era landmark in downtown Akron. Known as the "Howe Mansion" by travelers on the Ohio & Erie Canal, this 1836 high-style Federal structure was the home of Canalway engineer Richard Howe.
This landmark has been restored to its original glory, serving as a visitor information center, community meeting room, and offices of the Ohio & Erie Canalway Coalition, a managing partner in the development, maintenance, and activation of the Ohio & Erie Canal Towpath Trail.