210 Main St.
Zoar , Ohio , 44697
Built in 1887, it was one of the last buildings constructed by the Society of Separatists of Zoar. The Society barbershop was housed in this building, and the Zoar band practiced here and gave concerts from the second story porch roof. This historic structure was once the hub of community life. It has served as Zoar’s post office and fire department, the Saturday night dance hall and even the jail. Like a patchwork quilt, the Town Hall served as the fabric for public and social life in Zoar.
The town hall has been restored by the Zoar Community Association with private funds, including grants from various foundations, private donations and funds raised by ZCA events. Named “Project Pride,” this restoration was a success and was completed in time for Ohio’s Bicentennial Celebration in 2002.
The Town Hall now serves as government chambers in the lower level, and two museums – The Ohio & Erie Canal/Museum on the main level, and a museum of Zoarite artifacts upstairs.